Thursday, December 5, 2013
Chickpea, vege and coriander burgers
Chickpea, Vegie and Coriander Burgers
2 x 400 g tins of no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Cooking oil spray
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tbsp no added salt and no added sugar crunchy peanut butter
250 g sweet potato, grated
1 large carrot, grated
2/3 cup quick oats, plus extra to coat
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 egg, lightly beaten
Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
Beetroot, lettuce, reduced fat cheese, cherry tomatoes and low-fat Greek yoghurt or hummus to serve
1. Place chickpeas into a food processor and process until they resemble breadcrumbs.
2. Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add curry paste (if using curry paste) and cook, stirring for one minute, or until fragrant. Add sweet potato and carrot. Cook for three more minutes.
3. Place onion mixture into a large bowl with chickpeas, oats, coriander, cumin, peanut butter, fresh coriander, salt, pepper and egg. Using clean hands, mix until all ingredients are well-combined, adding a little more oats if the mixture is too wet. Wet your hands and shape the mixture into patties about the size of your palm. Chill for 30 minutes to firm. If freezing to have later, do this now.
4. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve with salad and cheese. Yum Yum Yum..
Recipe originally from The Australian Healthy Food Guide, Issue 89, March, 2013.
Adapted by Me!